Royal Palace on the Dam - Monument
One of the most emblematic historic buildings in Amsterdam. This majestic palace is not only a crucial part of Dutch history but also a splendid example of classical architecture.
What Can You Expect?
- Rich History: The Royal Palace on Dam square, originally built as a town hall in the 17th century, plays a vital role in Dutch royal history. It serves as the official reception palace for King Willem-Alexander.
- Architectural Masterpiece: Admire the impressive architecture and magnificent interiors of the palace. The building is renowned for its classical façade and lavishly decorated rooms, throne halls, and historic galleries.
- Special Chambers: Visitors will stroll through the imposing Burgerzaal, the Mayor's Chamber, the Schepenzaal, and the Vroedschapskamer on the first floor. These beautiful halls are used for official receptions by the Royal House and are adorned with paintings by famous artists like Ferdinand Bol and Govaert Flinck.
- Palace Highlights: Some of the highlights within the palace include:
- Burgerzaal: An impressive central hall with stunning marble floors and rich embellishments.
- Throne Hall: Where the king holds important ceremonies and receptions.
- Royal Apartments: Featuring elegantly furnished rooms that provide insight into the life of the royal family.
- Atlas of Amsterdam Collection: Showcasing historical maps, cityscapes, and prints depicting the development of Amsterdam.
- Sculpture and Symbolism: Admire the sculptures by Artus Quellinus and the symbolic references to the power and wealth of Amsterdam during the Golden Age.
- Empire Furniture: The palace houses the largest collection of Empire furniture outside of France. These exceptionally valuable pieces of furniture, left behind after the departure of King Lodewijk Napoleon, form one of the best-preserved and most complete Empire collections in the world.
- Vierschaar: On the ground floor, visitors can view the Vierschaar, the marble chamber where death sentences were pronounced during its time as a town hall.
- Art and Exhibitions: The palace houses an impressive collection of artworks and regularly changing exhibitions that illuminate both the building's history and the royal family.
A Royal Experience
A visit to the Royal Palace on the Dam is an essential experience for history, architecture, and royal splendor enthusiasts. Don't miss the chance to experience a piece of Dutch history and culture at the Royal Palace on the Dam, a gem in the heart of Amsterdam.
Furthermore Royal Palace on the Dam is near the following sights: Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) (±70 m), Erotic Museum (±90 m), Madame Tussauds (±90 m), Ripley’s Believe It or Not! (±175 m) & Body Worlds (±300 m).Book tickets online
For informationDam, Amsterdam
tel. +31 206 204 060
web. More information