Tips for tourist in Amsterdam
A weekend Amsterdam does not have to be expensive. Even on a budget, there is much to see. Fortunately, there are several possibilities to pay less for overnight stays, public transportation, museums, canal cruise and attractions.
Combi Discount Tickets
Combi Discount Tickets set a lower price for two bundled attractions or museums, compared to the two separate ticket prices. In addition, most combi-tickets in Amsterdam also include fast-track access, which allows you to skip the queues at the entrance. So not only pay less, but also save time through combi-tickets. Below a selection of the possible combination discount tickets:
- Rijksmuseum + Amsterdam Canal Cruise (-14% discount);
- Artis dierentuin + Micropia (-22% discount);
- Madame Tussauds + The Amsterdam Dungeon (-29% discount);
- Van Gogh Museum + Amsterdam Canal Cruise (-14% discount);
- Hop on Hop off bus & boat 24 u. + Amsterdam Dungeon (-43% discount);
- Heineken Experience + Amsterdam Canal Cruise (-21% discount).
View here the complete overview of combination discount tickets.
Amsterdam public transport discount & day passes for visitors
Depending on your travel plans and the duration of your stay, there are a number of different Amsterdam public transport passes that are especially valuable for visitors:
- GVB day passes: Available for 1 to 7 days. Unlimited use of all GVB trams, buses and metros in Amsterdam.
- I Amsterdam City Card: Available for 24, 48, 72 or 96 hours. Unlimited use of all GVB trams, buses and metros in Amsterdam + free entrance to the city's top attractions + free detailed city map.
- Amsterdam Travel Ticket: Available for 1, 2 or 3 days. Unlimited use of all GVB trams, buses and metros in Amsterdam + a return (2nd class) train travel between Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and any railway station in Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket: Available for 1, 2 or 3 days. Unlimited use of all GVB trams, buses and metros in Amsterdam + buses and trains operated by Connexxion, EBS and NS in Amsterdam and the Amsterdam region (including Zandvoort, Haarlem, Monnickendam and Volendam).
We advise to buy your tickets in advance online.
Shopping discount voucher for Schiphol
Fly back via Schiphol and you plan to go Duty free shopping? Sign up for the Schiphol newsletter on the SeeBuyFly.nl website - and receive a discount voucher of €5,00. To spend in all stores at Schiphol, if you buy something for more than €25,00. The shops are excellent. Try it, it works!
Cheap breakfast in Amsterdam
Starting from €2,00 per person, you can get a good breakfast in two HEMA shops from Monday to Saturday until 10:00 hours. Breakfast includes a cup of coffee, a croissant with jam and an omelette sandwich inside. For €0,50 extra you also receive a glass of orange juice. For comparison - almost all hotels in Amsterdam ask at least €10,00 per person for a normal breakfast. In the center of Amsterdam the cheap HEMA breakfasts are available at the following addresses:
- Nieuwendijk 174-176 (closest to central station);
- Kalverstraat 212 (in the most popular shopping street, near Muntplein).
Deals on places to stay
Free sights in Amsterdam
Want to save even more money during a city trip in Amsterdam? There are also many free sights to visit! Read our list with the best things to do for free and see in Amsterdam.